Friday, October 26, 2007

October is apparently new music month

Seriously, how much brand new music can one person listen to in a month's time? Apparently, if you're me, the answer is a shit ton. There have been so many phenomenal CD's that have come out (or are coming out) this month. As mentioned a few entries down, the new Dashboard Confessional record came out a few weeks ago. Last week, both Jimmy Eat World's Chase This Light and the first two volumes of Thrice's The Alchemy Index both hit stores. Besides that, the new Say Anything and Cobra Starship records came out this week. (I listened to the Cobra Starship record when it was streaming - I may pick it up. As for Say Anything... well, we'll see...)

That being said, there are three things I've heard this week that I'm totes nose over tail for:
  1. First, the newest offering from my perennial faves, Saves The Day, comes out next Tuesday. It's entitled Under The Boards, and it's the second record in a three-album trilogy. I spent all day Wednesday listening to the stream. I'm definitely in to it. It's currently streaming at the band's MySpace.
  2. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by my second swoon-of-the-week. It's The Color Fred, which initially was a side project of Taking Back Sunday's Fred Mascherino. About a week or so ago, he announced that he was leaving TBS to make this band his full time focus. I was skeptical that it just wasn't going to be that good. Well, it's not breaking any new musical ground or anything, but it is a really, really solid record. It's a lot more down-tempo and poppy than most of TBS's stuff - a lot of it a real singer/songwriterey vibe to it. Admittedly, a couple of the songs sound like they could have been rejected TBS songs ("I Hate To See You Go"), and from what I've read, that is in fact the case. But they're still very catchy and solid. Give it a listen here.
  3. Ok, this record didn't come out this month, but I first heard it in its entirety yesterday afternoon, and it's sooooo good. So I shall include it here. It's called About Face by The Working Title. It's very indie/pop/rock (think Sherwood and The Forecast), and I'm actually getting more in to it the more I listen (which, with records like this, the opposite is usually the case). They have about half the record on their Purevolume page. So far the standouts for me have been "Under The Ground, " "The Mary Getaway (I Lost Everything)," and "Turbulence."
I tell you, it's gonna be really fucking hard to do a end of the year top 10 list in December...

6 comments:

jessica maria said...

So much new music. Okay. I heart Saves the Day, but just have not been able to get into any of their recent albums. They belong to my high school heart, and there they shall stay.

Except for Chris' guest appearance on In Defense..., though Say Anything chose to sample "Rocks, Tonic, Juice, Magic" cause, hey, we were all obsessed with that album, weren't we?

I'm hesitant to listen to The Color Fred simply because I haven't really been too into TBS since Fred joined (he was one of the guys from Breaking Pangea, right?) and John Nolan left. Again, a band I tend to keep to a certain time in my life.

I'll maybe look into The Working Title.

And John, okay, I bought "In Defense..." the day it came out because I was walking by a Best Buy on Tuesday and it was on sale for $7.99 there. I've been listening to it every day since. I'm really trying to escape the hype and like the album. Today is my break day. My day to NOT listen to it, and go back to it tomorrow or the next day with new ears. So far, it's so fucking unwieldy and uneven. There's some supposed storyline/concept, but 27 songs is A LOT to get through in one listen and carefully construct a story. It gets yawnworthy. Though there are some nice songs in there, I'm still trying to remember them. Also, they upped the anty on the cringe-worthy lines. Oof. See? I can't articulate it quite yet. I still need to keep listening. And I've kept my opinion a secret this whole week, bc I don't want to talk about it with anyone until I know what I Think about it. I bring it to you first. HA. I feel like next week I will decide if the album is AMAZING, mediocre, shit, or a combination of it all.

And oh man, the year end list. I've been compiling it throughout the year and you're right, it's getting tough. I know what my 1234 are...eikm, the con, and...either easy tiger then poison trees...but that could be switched. and i still haven't listened to the new jimmy eat world...ugh. so much.

End rant.

everyonelistens said...

LONGEST COMMENT EVER.

Will respond accordingly.

jessica maria said...

I KNOW, RIGHT?

That totes takes half an hour to read. I typed furiously from my cubicle. Total stream-of-consciousness. How sad.

HA.

everyonelistens said...

I can't help but be in to anything that Chris Conley does (except In Reverie. I haaaaaate In Reverie). I really like the way the band is headed these days - I think it's different because you (not you specifically, mind you) listen to newer STD and expect to hear "Shoulder To The Wheel" or "At Your Funeral," and you get something way different what you expected. At first it's a little disconcerting, but as you listen, you realize what's going on. At least that's how it was for me. It took a while for me to warm up to it, but now I really enjoy the STD records.

I think the same sort of thing is happening/going to happen with Cartel. The put out the new record and everyone was all "whoooooaaaa buddy! This isn't Chroma!" Of course it's not. Songwriters progress at different paces, and some bands show those stark differences from album to album (like Conley and Pugh) while others are a bit more consistent from record to record (like Jim Adkins or Carrabba). I guess it's just a matter of taking it for what it is, rather than how it fits in a discography. At least that's how I like to look at it.

But I totally can see how you can reserve certain bands for certain times in your life. I mean, I fucking love(d) MxPx. But I haven't bought one of their records since Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo. And that way it shall remain. I guess it depends on the band, really, and what they are/were to you at that point.

Also, yes, the new JEW is DEFINITELY in my top 5. Highly, highly recommended.

We should start a new absolutepunk.net, but it would only be for people who know what they're talking about.

jessica maria said...

"Through Being Cool" is still my fave STD. I remember hearing "In Reverie" and laughing at how horrible it was. Whatever. Maybe I'll give their latest a try. We'll see. Some bands and their albums just take a while to warm up. For instance, I absolutely abhored No Doubt's "Return of Saturn" when it first came out, but now it's my favorite album by them (that opinion took TWO years to formulate). Totally different sound than "Tragic Kingdom," but amazing nonetheless. I appreciate when bands progress (perfect evolution nominee? - Midtown [which does NOT include Cobra, fanx]), and I'd hate to listen to a band that keeps putting out same-sounding albums. Though, yes, Carrabba's are much more similar, but I still see evolution in the music to a degree that satisfies me as a listener who's growing up.

We should start a new absolutepunk.net, but it would only be for people who know what they're talking about.

HAHAHAHA LAUGH RIOT! And, yes.

The Dagger said...

i hate music.