Wednesday, October 10, 2007

These are the words I wish I wrote down.

I don't know what it is, but I've been connecting with so much music as of late that it's a little scary. I mean, I am listening to music constantly, but I've always done that. Within the last few months, though, I've really been connecting with a lot of it. Maybe it's because I've found a strong core of 5 to 6 records that have really made a lyrical impact on me. As I wrote that sentence, it just occurred to me that I'm soundtracking my life again. I'm not sure what causes me to do this, but I think it's a subconscious security blanket.

Just remember always counting down to a new start
You always knew the truth
And the world would spin around you
Are you dizzy yet?

I went to make a mix on Monday. (I am currently sans iPod, so my mixes are all limited to whatever a single CDR can hold.) For some reason, I've done this for the past few useless holidays - seriously, I have a mix labeled "Victory Day." Not that the songs have anything to do with Victory Day, it's just the random holiday I made it on. Regardless, I started off by putting some songs I haven't listened to in a while on it: Soul Asylum's "Somebody To Shove," Oasis' "Slide Away," Foo Fighters' "Baker Street," etc. At some point, though, I just started unthinkingly picking songs, and when I went back to listen, I was kind of taken aback at what had found it's way on the playlist.

We all bloom faster in an oncoming disaster.

Wilco's "When You Wake Up Feeling Old," Norah Jones' "Be My Somebody," Lucinda Williams' "Still I Long For Your Kiss," Midtown's "Waiting For The News," The Specials' "You're Wondering Now," Spill Canvas' "Sunsets And Car Crashes," and so on. I mean COME ON? Seriously? I can not haz teh emo? I can not haz sad bastard music?

Who knows anything
I don't know
There are so many things
I must leave alone
Some strange person is calling you their home
Can you be where you want to be?

I suppose I was just in a mood that day. And then I got a copy of the new Jimmy Eat World. OBSESSED. I've probably listened to it a dozen times already. And I've been looking up the lyrics online as I go. GET OUT OF MAH HEAD PLZ.

I sure want to get back on track
And I'’ll do whatever it takes
Even if it kills me.

Oh, and DO WANT:

2 comments:

jessica maria said...

I've heard the new Jimmy Eat World is good! I'll have to get into it.

I'm having a lyrical pull by music lately too - weird. Perhaps it's because I got the new Dashboard and I'm IN LOVE. Talk about EMO.

Also, I think all mixes should be curtailed to the simple 20ish songs allotted for on a mix cd. It gets to unwieldy if they get too long. Must keep the magic of the mixtape alive!! ha

everyonelistens said...

the new Jimmy Eat World is magical.