Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm on my feet, I'm on the floor, I'm good to go.

So Monday evening I was sitting in French class, trying to figure out just how long it had been since I last took a class in French. Let's do the math - that was seventh grade, that school year was 1992-1993, and I took it in the spring. 15 years. Jesus, 15 FUCKING YEARS. 

It's weird to be taking all these college level classes. In fact, it's weird to be in sort of class class at all. The first few days were strange - I've never had a problem trying something new or starting new chapters in my life - but for some reason, I felt slightly intimidated. The day before I started class, I went to Staples to buy notebooks and folders and things. Everyone else in the store was doing their back-to-school shopping, too, but they were so young. It made me feel so old. I really hadn't felt any anxiety about it up to that point, but suddenly it started to kick in.

Luckily, once I actually got on campus and saw that there were people going through the same things, I started to fall in to the groove, and now, it's like I never took 10 years off between high school and college. My study habits are the same, I've retained my quiz-taking prowess, and I've remembered at surprising amount of math. 

It's weird to talk about it to other people, because they've already done their time. They've got their degrees and have their careers, or they're in school already and have already dealt with all of this nonsense. They're in their PhD programs and studying for bar exams, and I'm taking 100-level math courses. They're done dealing with gen ed requirements and advisors and syllabi and midterms. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm behind - like I've got to catch up. Sometimes it's frustrating. But I know in four years, the playing field will be level again. I've really never been so motivated or optomistic in my life. I'm going to chase this feeling for a while. 


No comments: